Love

Love

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The story of Oaklie Kaye

My baby girl is finally here! It seemed for a few weeks she would never come, but finally the day came. I have had a few people ask about labor and I always love reading about other peoples experience's, so I figured I would share mine with you.

I will start with the day before, Friday, December, 28. That day I was feeling more anxious then usual. It seemed that I would never go into labor even though I was barely 39 weeks. I didn't feel any different that day. I had a feeling that the baby was going to come on her due date or a little after because my doctor appointment the day prior, nothing seemed to have changed. I was still dilated at a one and not thinned out much. Little did I know that labor was coming a lot sooner then I thought. I always figured you would feel it come on but its just about the opposite.

Late Friday night and early Saturday morning, I could not sleep. I could only sleep for two hours. I woke up around midnight and just could not go back to sleep. I wasn't feeling any contractions but I felt different, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. So I just blew it off and watched TV and waited until about 3:30 to start making breakfast for Andrew before he had to go to work at 4:30. Four o'clock came around and I had to use the restroom. I went and did my business, but when I stood up there was water dripping down my leg. I just used the restroom so I knew it could be one of two things. Either my water broke or I was leaking amniotic fluid. I was more convinced it was the amniotic fluid because everyone makes it seem like its a huge gush of water all at once when your water breaks, but it wasn't like that at all. I then called Labor and Delivery and they were pretty sure it was my water. I woke up Andrew and we headed to the hospital. Most people have really bad contractions after there water breaks but I was completely fine. I hardly felt anything. So I still wasn't convinced I was in labor.

We got to the hospital and they confirmed it was my water. I still was not feeling any contractions so I just laid back and tried to relax as much as I could. Around 7, the contractions finally started. They were a little more intense then cramps but not by much. Every three hours they kept checking to see if I was dilating more but still nothing was changing. After being in labor for 6 hours they gave me medication to help fasten labor. After 15 minutes of that going through my IV, I was really starting to feel the contractions. I cant even explain the pain I was in. I was lucky enough to have nurses who let me decide when to get an epidural. So around 11 I decided I couldn't take the pain anymore.

For those who know me, you know I HATE needles. I was terrified of getting an epidural. But with being in as much pain as I was in, I didn't care at the time. The doctor came in gave me the epidural and just like that it was done. I didn't feel relief automatically. They told me it could take 15 minutes to an hour. So I waited and waited. My right side was completely numb but my entire left side was not. So I was still feeling the contractions on one side. After an hour passed, they decided to adjust the needle. But that didn't help so they decided to give me another epidural. By this time I was in A LOT of pain and was getting really frustrated. So I received two epidurals. Thankfully the second time around worked because I did not want a spinal tap. Only 5 minutes after getting the epidural, I was in heaven and crashed for a good two to three hours. I could not feel a thing from my waist down. Epidurals are amazing. And surprisingly enough that was the easiest and less painful thing throughout labor. My IV hurt more then getting an epidural. So if you are scared about getting one like I was, there is nothing to be scared of.

After receiving an epidural, my labor starting moving along really fast. By 6:30 pm I was dilated at a 6. Then around 7, I suddenly felt a lot of pressure. I told the nurse and she checked to see if I changed and sure enough I was fully dilated and completely thinned out. In 30 minutes, that is really fast. I told her I had a strong urge to push so she ran to get the doctor and when they came in and set everything up, I started to push. I pushed for about 30 minutes, which is amazing for first time mothers. They told me some women push for 3 hours and I have no idea how they do it because 30 minutes about killed me.

After all that pushing and 15 hours of labor, my baby girl was finally born at 7:46 pm on the 29th of December. Having her was the most amazing thing. I could not take my eyes off of her while they were cleaning her and making sure she was alright. Oaklie is a very healthy baby. Weighing  7 lbs. 5 ounces and 18.5 inches long, She is perfect. Holding her for the first time is something I will never forget. We just looked at each other for the longest time.

The rest of the time at the hospital went by just as smoothly. Oaklie stayed in the room with us and she is a really good baby. She had very low jaundice so we were able to leave Monday afternoon. Everyone told me your first night home from the hospital is the worst, but Oaklie was an absolute angel. She hardly ever cries unless shes hungry. She is really good about sleeping. Sometimes I wish she was up more because she sleeps so much. Andrew gets 10 days of leave so having him around is a lot of help. But we are finally starting to get into a routine. My parents fly in this coming Tuesday and I cannot wait to see them. We are also coming home towards the end of February or the beginning of March to bless her. So many exciting things are coming these next few weeks.

I will keep updating on Oaklie on my blog to let family know how everything is going. Andrew and I are very proud parents and are doing really good. She definitely has us wrapped around her little fingers. But the baby  just woke up so its time to put down the computer and be momma. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment